I am continuing my work on Hsiang’s thesis using UV-Vis to detect sugars in transgenic plants. Unfortunately, the many hours of work I did last week were for not because we can’t actually identify the samples I ran. I can tell you the sugar concentrations accurate to the micromole, but I have no idea which plants the leaves actually came from.
This week, I am doing my own extractions. Now, we can guarantee we know which samples we’re actually testing. It’s also a lot of work to extract sugars! I’ve only finished the first step, but I still feel the frost bite from all the liquid nitrogen I had to handle.
Oh and for reference. look at some of this high-tech science stuff.